Saturday, December 10, 2005

This week's re-hash

Get the Tomahawks ready, boys - there's a war on Christmas!

Here's Gervais' picks for the funny (some intentionally, others not) posts from around the SC political blog circuit during this more serious (and rightfully so) week:

The Body Politic did a creative piece on the War on Christmas. Sounds scary, but I'm not buying it. I know people want to get as much mileage out of the culture wars as possible, but there is no "War on Christmas" around here. There's nothing wrong with saying "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays." Gervais says, if you want to feel persecuted, become a Wiccan and move to Great Falls. The Body Politic sets up a pretty nice straw man, though, and beats him down mercilessly. Full disclosure: my uncle was a straw man, so that sort of thing always makes me mad.

SC Hotline posted a press release called "Economy Picking Up Steam", from GOP Chairman Katon Dawson, about how great our employment situation actually is. Sorry, Mr. Silver Lining, I know it's your job, but let's put the pom-poms away until the state is no longer third from last in unemployment. If 1 in 15 folks weren't unemployed for the holiday season... I'd be sis-boom-bah-ing right along with you.

Wag the Blog made an interesting comparison between Saddam Hussein's trial and Hollywood Squares. It made me think of Bruce Vilanch, which made me think of Jim DeMint, which makes me think I ought to see a professional.

And the Crunchy Republican asked, will the real Gervais S. Bridges please stand up? So I did, thinking it would be ironic and funny. I also swiveled my head around real fast every time I read the words "the man behind Gervais S. Bridges" in Aaron Gould Sheinin's article in The State. I'm a wacky guy like that.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: